clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Championship Round-Up: Burnley joined on top by Leicester and QPR

A round-up of the Championship as Leicester and QPR join Burnley at the top of the table.

QPR are now joint top of the Championship
QPR are now joint top of the Championship
Charlie Crowhurst
Nottingham Forest 1-1 Burnley: Forest held to draw

As I predicted, Forest and Burnley drew 1-1 at the City Ground. Burnley have now drawn their last three matches - and have lost their points lead they had over QPR and Leicester. Forest have gained four points off of the top two in their last two matches - showing that they can challenge for automatic promotion.

On the basis of the play - Forest should have won this game. At total of nineteen shots and 64% of possession just says it all.

Forest's first chance came when Radoslaw Majewski had a long range effort saved by Tom Heaton.

Henry Landsbury then hit the crossbar from a free-kick, before Majewski fired wide. The free-kick left Heaton stranded in the Burnley goal.

Simon Cox had a long range effort saved, moments later. It felt like Forest's goal was only a matter of moments away.

In Burnley's first major attack, Gonzalo Jara's hand got in the way of a cross from the right hand side and Burnley were given a penalty. Karl Darlow guess the right way, but he couldn't prevent Sam Vokes from scoring.

Simon Cox levelled the game, just before half time, following a Jamie Paterson cross.

The second half had few chances. Burnley would be much happier with their point.

Ipswich Town 1-2 Leicester City: Nugent double sinks Tractor Boys

David Nugent scored two as Leicester defeated Ipswich at Portman Road.

Ipswich took the lead in the early minutes - as David McGoldrick scored from twenty five yards.

Nugent fired an effort wide, before McGoldrick forced a smart stop from Kasper Schmeichel.

Leicester could have levelled before the break, but Andy King's effort was tipped over by Dean Gerken.

In the second half, Jamie Vardy set up Nugent who fired in Leicester's equaliser.

Danny Drinkwater provided Nugent will his second goal of the game - a tap in from six yards.

Ipswich had a chance to draw, however Luke Chambers headed wide - this being their last major chance of the match.

Leicester now level on points with Burnley at the top of the Championship...

Queens Park Rangers 1-0 Charlton Athletic: QPR win by one goal yet again are QPR, following their 1-0 win over London rivals Charlton.

It took a while for any clear-cut chances to be produced, with both sides limiting each other to long range efforts.

But it was a long range effort that broke the deadlock - Charlie Austin fired the ball home from thirty yards to put QPR in front.

Joey Barton fired a free-kick straight at former-Reading player Ben Hamer, in the second half. Shaun Wright-Phillips also had a effort saved by Hamer in a game of few chances.

Wright-Phillips would hit the crossbar in stoppage time, after finding his way through three players.

QPR have won all of their last four at home.

Birmingham City 1-1 Blackpool: Honours even at St Andrews

Birmingham and Blackpool played out their third 1-1 draw in a row.

The hosts had the first chance of the game, when Matt Gilks was closed down by Zigic. He was forced to play the ball to Jesse Lingard, on loan from Manchester United, who could only fire wide.

A defensive mix-up gifted Lingard with his sixth goal of the season. The lead only last nine minutes.

Tom Ince picked out Ricardo Fuller in the box, who fired low and hard into the bottom corner.

Poland international Dariusz Dudka forced Gilks into a save with an effort from outside the box, but the game ended level.

Blackburn Rovers 0-0 Reading: Stalemate at Ewood Park

Check out Rob Langham's review of this game!

Watford 0-1 Bolton Wanderers: Wanderers edge it at Vicarage Road

Watford have failed to win in five matches, following their 1-0 defeat at home to Bolton.

Manuel Almunia gifted Bolton the games only goal, as he dropped the ball towards Jermaine Beckford who fired into the roof of the net.

Watford didn't trouble Lonergan in the Bolton goal. Watford only had one shot on target, despite taking a total of nineteen.

Bolton had few chances themselves, but they scored the vital chance to take them top of the form guide, while Watford slip down to 10th.

Leeds United 2-1 Middlesbrough: Leeds make it three in a row

As I said in the preview, there have been five red cards in the last four matches between these two sides. You can now make that six red cards in five, as ten-man Middlesbrough were defeated by Leeds.

Ross McCormack, who scored four goals in his last game for Leeds, put the hosts 1-0 up after thirty five minutes. He headed home from a Tom Lees header across goal.

Luke Steele was sent off for Boro for fouling Dexter Blackstock outside of the penalty box.

Middlesbrough drew level, Albert Adomah played a fantastic pass for Mustapha Carayol who slotted past Paddy Kenny.

However, Leeds' Pearce won them the game; he headed home a Rudolph Austin cross.

Leeds have won their last three in the league, and their last four games at home.

Bournemouth 0-1 Derby County: Rams grind out win

Derby edge ever closer to the play-offs as they beat Bournemouth 1-0.

The Rams were stronger in the early minutes. Will Hughes set up Jamie Ward before his effort was saved by Camp.

Chris Martin, then, had an effort turned over by the former Derby stopper.

South African Rantie had a shot saved by Grant, as Bournemouth looked for a way back into the game.

Lee Camp was equal to plenty of Derby attempts, and Jamie Ward's free-kick came close for the Rams.

Camps was finally beaten when Ward powered home a cross by Craig Forsyth.

Bournemouth introduced League One player of the season Matt Ritchie. The former-Swindon man had an effort deflected wide and from the resulting corner, he could only blast the ball off target.

The Cherries finished the game with ten-men, as Steve Cook was stretchered off.

Bournemouth lose for the fourth time at home all season; they have only managed one win in eight.

Wigan Athletic 0-1 Brighton and Hove Albion: First home defeat for Wigan

Wigan were beaten for the first time at home, since Swansea beat them 3-2 near the end of last season.

The Latics had the games first clear cut chance, Leon Barnett fired wide following Ben Watson's early corner. Watson, himself, then fired an effort wide, as the FA Cup holders pressed early on.

The second half saw Ashley Barnes head straight at Wigan goalkeeper Lee Nicholls.

Andrew Crofts put Brighton 1-0 up; a looping header over Nicholls.

Grant Holt had an attempt saved late on, but Brighton held on to a valuable three points.

Sheffield Wednesday 1-2 Huddersfield Town: Terries gain bragging rights

Huddersfield win the Yorkshire derby, as Sheffield Wednesday fall to their sixth defeat of the season.

It took only ten minutes for Martin Paterson to score the Terriers first goal; Adam Clayton's through ball was expertly finished by Paterson.

With the Owls rattled, Oliver Norwood forced debutant Damian Martinez in to a low save with a thirty yard shot.

After the break, Paul Dixon had an effort parried and James Vaughan missed the target from six yards - it would have been his tenth goal of the season.

As Wednesday started to get into the game, Huddersfield made it two. Norwood had an effort blocked before Clayton pounced.

Connor Wickham scored a free-kick in stoppage time, but it was too late for the Owls to get back into the game.

Sheffield Wednesday are now four points from safety.

Millwall 1-0 Barnsley: Lions win at last

Millwall won for the first time since September, with a home win over Barnsley.

Millwall had chances to take the lead before the break - McDonald, Martyn Woolford and Guy Moussi all went close for the Lions.

Barnsley's Marcus Pederson had a number of attempts saved by David Forde, before Gibraltan international Scott Wiseman headed into his own net - gifting Millwall the points.

This is Barnsley's worst start to a season since 1973.

Doncaster Rovers 2-1 Yeovil Town: Ten man Doncaster leave it late

The Friday night game saw Doncaster edge Yeovil.

Rovers took an early lead after Dean Furman turned home Federico Macheda's ball across goal.

Just over ten years ago, these two sides were battling in the Conference National; Bryon Webster levelled the game on half-time - a powerful effort from six yards.

Mark Duffy's free-kick won the game for Doncaster late on, but both sides remain in trouble at the wrong end of the table,

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Doncaster Rovers: Addicks jump above Rovers

In a replayed match, Charlton beat Doncaster - through a Dale Stephens volley and a Simon Church tap in. Charlton climb to 17th, as Doncaster lay 20th.