After 17 games the Royals find themselves in 14th place with 21 points. It has been a frustrating start to the season. But how does Reading's beginning to the 2014/2015 season compare with previous campaigns?
|2003/2004||Pardew / Coppell||8||3||6||24||19||27||5||9|
What immediately grabs your attention is the fact that this is Reading's second worst start at Championship level in the Madejski Stadium era. But what else is noticeable?
- Reading have never conceded so many goals after 17 games.
- Only once before have the Royals had a negative goal difference at this stage of the season.
- There's hope! Our current position and points total are the same as Brian McDermott's 2011/2012 champions.
- Brian McDermott's teams were slow starters. We were patient back then. Do Nigel Adkins and the current team deserve the same patience?
- Steve Coppell was in charge for our three best starts.
- The 2008/2009 teams had scored ten more goals after 17 games than the great 2005/2006 team. How we managed to finish fourth in a three horse race that season remains a mystery.
All in all it doesn't make great reading for Nigel Adkins. A lot was said about this being a season of transition but, as the table above shows, Reading fans are not used to watching their team treading water. The reaction to the season so far reflects that.