clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Reading FC 2-1 Bolton Wanderers: Flash Report

The Royals' first game since the Clarke confusion ended with a win for Reading. Read the instant report below.

Martin Willetts/Getty Images

So, how do the players respond when their manager almost leaves them? Well, on this performance, it's hard to tell.

Reading: Al-Habsi, Gunter, Taylor, Hector, McShane (c), Norwood, Piazon (Obita), Williams, Blackman, McCleary, Sa. 
Subs: Bond, Vydra, Obita, Hurtado, John, Cooper, Liburd.

First Half

The game kicked off after a minute's silence to remember those that tragically lost their lives in Paris last week.

The football on show in the opening half hour was subdued, to say the least, with Ali Al-Habsi forced to make a fantastic save from a free kick — the defence clearly not learning from the last time out at Cardiff — and again when Davies was played clean through.

The deadlock was broken was Lucas Piazon got lucky with a ricochet and poked home around the half hour mark, while Danny Williams doubled the lead shortly after with a strike from distance. 2-0, the Royals lead.

Momentum then seemed to be with Clarke's men, as they continued to search for another goal, but the half time whistle put a stop to that endeavour.

Second Half

The second half saw plenty of sparring between the two sides, with nether side really able to dominate the game. Ali Al-Habsi was forced to make another fine saving, tipping over an Ameobi header onto the bar, but Bolton struggled to find an opening.

Amos wasn't left to twiddle his thumbs though, as a Blackman shot bounced off the turf and looked destined for the net, only for the former Manchester United goalkeeper to get to the ball and tip it wide.

Things weren't all rosy though, as Norwood was adjudged to have fouled in the box, with Feeney stepping up and putting the penalty away. 2-1, with ten minutes to go.

Another penalty shout for Bolton in the 90th minute had a number of fans on the edge of their seats, but nothing was given.

Five minutes of added time were given, with Bolton continuing to throw the kitchen sink but Reading held on to gain a vital three points and put a few smiles back on the faces of disgruntled fans.