clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Reading FC A-A Fulham: Match Report

Here's a recap of the moments you may have mist in tonight's abandoned game. Not that we could see any better than you.

The clearest you could see all evening.....accept after the game was abandoned.

I'll keep this brief because a) There wasn't an awful lot of action in the 45 minutes this evening and b) Even if there was, I wouldn't have been able to see it anyway.

With Brighton vs Cardiff postponed earlier in the evening due to fog, there were concerns about the visibility at the Madejski Stadium going into the eight o'clock kick-off, but it was given the all clear by referee James Linington. However it soon became clear that it wasn't all clear. Clearly.

Sitting in the North East corner of the stadium, I could just about make out what was happening in the opening half an hour of the game. Fulham seemed to be in control of the match slightly more and were better at keeping the ball in the Championship's 'Total Football Derby' as I've spontaneously named it.

The Cottagers caused the hosts the most problems down the right hand side (mainly because I couldn't see the left hand side), with Ryan Fredericks and Floyd Ayite getting in behind Tyler Blackett and make-shift full-back Callum Harriott on multiple occasions only for their crosses to be poor on every occasion much to Reading's relief.

Yet it was Jaap Stam's side who probably had the two best chances of the half as first Garath McCleary was sent clean through by Yann Kermorgant but couldn't see his feet as he bared down on goal (I don't blame him) and his tame effort was saved by David Button. 10 minutes later and it was the winger who turned provider, as his cross found the head of Yann Kermorgant (probably by pure luck), but his effort was collected by Button.

From the 30 minute mark onwards, I have to admit that I really couldn't see what on earth was happening on the pitch, so we'll have to trust the official club twitter on this one. Apparently Fulham took a quick free-kick, Danny Williams got booked and the referee stopped play twice, but for all I know George Evans and Tom Cairney could have been playing headers and volleys in the centre circle.

It perhaps would have been a sensible decision to abandon the game during these fifteen minutes, and Linington did seemingly consider this option (twice) but chose to play on. The fog did begin to clea