clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Instant Reaction: Reading FC 2-2 Fulham

Hal Robson-Kanu double not enough for Royals to see off the Cottagers.

Reading: Al Habsi; Gunter, Ferdinand, Cooper, Obita; Norwood, Hector; Robson-Kanu, Quinn, John; Kermorgant

Subs: Bond, Evans, Rakels, McCleary, Piazon, Williams, Cox.

Reading were left to rue missed chances against a struggling Fulham side, who were able to take a valuable point away from the Madejski Stadium.

The Cottagers burst out of the traps and were rewarded for their early pressure after just ten minutes. An overhit corner was sent back across the box by Michael Madl's header, which found the feet of Moussa Dembele, who was able to slot the ball home from close range.

Reading responded strongly, with Yann Kermorgant asking several questions of the Fulham defence and Ola John also posing a threat down the wing. Indeed, the Royals attacking play began to force the visitors into some reckless challenges, with Ryan Fredericks being shown a yellow card on 24 minutes for hacking down John, before Fernando Amorebieta conceded a penalty just a minute later, after he fouled Hal Robson-Kanu in the box. The Welshman was able to pick himself up and coolly send Andy Lonergan the wrong way to level proceedings.

The Royals continued to press, and on 41 minutes were able to take the lead through a lovely team goal. After a neat passing move, Ola John broke into the box before selflessly crossing to Robson Kanu, who was able to head home from close range to make it 2-1 before the break.

Robson Kanu however had to make way during the interval after failing to recover from a knock he had picked up during the first period, and was replaced by Gareth McCleary at the start of the second half. The Welshman's absence did not hamper the Royals' attacking prowess as Kermorgant continued to pester the Fulham defence and arguably should have scored after he had managed to beat the last defender before sending his effort wide.

The home side were then made to pay for not making the most of their chances, as referee Simon Hooper gave his second penalty of the day, this time for Jake Cooper's foul on Fulham's Fredericks. Ross McCormack stepped up to take the spot kick and levelled the scores, netting his nineteenth goal of the season in the process.

Trying to re-establish their lead, Reading went close with efforts from Stephen Quinn and Ola John, before McDermott set out to bolster his attacking options with the introduction of Deniss Rakels in place of the industrious Quinn on the hour mark. As the game entered its latter stages, it was the Royals who looked the more likely to find a winner, but despite several efforts on goal, they were unable to find a breakthrough. As the final whistle blew, the home side were left to rue what could have been on an afternoon where they had ample opportunity to take home all three points.

We'll have a full report  and player ratings up a little later this weekend so please check back for that later on.