clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Ipswich Town 2-2 Reading FC: 60 Second Report

Royals and Tractor Boys share the spoils at Portman Road

Dan Mullan/Getty Images

Reading remain third in the Championship after coming from behind twice to salvage a hard-earned point against Ipswich at Portman Road.

After a sluggish start for the away team, the Royals finally created their first clear-cut opportunity after 25 minutes. Some slick counter-attacking play set Garath McCleary free down the left-hand side, but John Swift was unable to take advantage of the winger's drilled low cross, skying his effort over the Ipswich bar.

Despite edging the possession, the hosts had very little to show for their efforts. Welsh midfielder Emyr Huws found himself with a chance as the clock ticked past the half-hour mark, but his 25-yard effort was aimed straight at Ali Al-Habsi, who had little trouble in dealing with it. At the other end, Yann Kermorgant's cross missed everybody in the box before finding Jordan Obita, yet the left-back was unable to convert, seeing his effort blocked.

After a truly dour opening 40 minutes, the deadlock was finally broken in some style. A quick break from a Reading corner at the other end saw the ball reach Tom Lawrence in the middle of the park, who continued his run through the Royals' defence, before sending his shot into the net via the underside of the bar to send the hosts in one-up at the break.

Jaap Stam wasted no time in trying to get his side back into the game, replacing Swift with Deadline Day loan signing Lewis Grabban during the interval. However, it was another loanee arrival who got the Royals back into the game just seven minutes into the second half. After some clever build up play, Obita squared the ball across the box to find Jordon Mutch, who quickly steadied himself, before sending Bartosz Bialkowski in the Ipswich goal the wrong way to level the scoreline.

The Royals almost made it 2-1 immediately afterwards, but Danny Williams' fizzling effort from range was tipped behind by an at full stretch Bialkowski. And the Royals were instantly made to pay for their attacking profligacy, as on 61 minutes, Tom Lawrence broke free down the middle to double both his and his side's tally for the afternoon and reestablish the Tractor Boys' lead.

But as they have done on what feels like countless occasions this season, Reading refused to let lie and with 82 minutes gone, found themselves level once again. After a corner from the right-hand side was half-headed out of the Ipswich box, the ball fell to Obita, who let rip an ambitious effort from 30 yards out, which somehow evaded a box teeming with bodies to reach the bottom corner of the Ipswich goal and make the score 2-2.

With the clock ticking, the Royals continued to press, but were unable to find a late winner. The draw keeps Reading in third-place and extends our unbeaten run in the Championship to four consecutive games.

Reading: Al Habsi; Gunter, Moore, Blackett, Obita; Williams, Kelly (Evans, '82), Mutch; McCleary, Swift (Grabban '46); Kermorgant.

Subs: Jaakkola, Evans, Popa, Meite, Beerens, Oxford, Grabban.