clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

League 1 & 2 Focus: August 14

Portsmouth get a wake up call, Samuel scores but no win for Tshibola and more in our L1 & L2 roundup.

The second weekend of the new season has, again, thrown up some remarkable and surprising results. As always in League One & Two it is very hard to predict the out come and D3D4 yet again proved to be incorrect in many of our assumptions, here is our L1&2 Round Up...


The biggest shock came at Ewood park where the battle of the Rovers ended with a surprising victory for Doncaster. Lasdt season's top scorer John Marquis opened his account for the season when he thumped home when clean through. James Coppinger made it two with a well taken penalty and then a comedy of errors allowed Donnie substitute May to score a third. Dominic Samuel looked lively coming off the bench and managed to grab a consolation but a poor start to the new campaign for Blackburn!

One side that have started well are Shrewsbury. Another clean sheet was secured at Kingsmeadow where an Alex Rodman goal proved enough for Salop to take all three points to make it 6 out of 6. Wimbledon continue to struggle up top but still have time to address this before the transfer window closes.

Two ambitious sides met at Home Park and it was the Pilgrims that came out on top in this one. Jake Jervis bagged a second half brace to give Derek Adams men a deserved 3 points. Charlton had their chances but McCormack turned away Josh Magennis' effort in style.

Rotherham stunned Southend with a 5-0 thrashing of Phil Brown's men at the New York Stadium. Keiffer Moore scored a brilliant first half hatrick before Newell and Ryan Williams notched in thesecond half. It was just what the Millers needed to banish the ghosts of last season. As for the Shrimpers it is a case of back to reality after a superb opening day win over Blackburn.

Portsmouth and Oxford met at the Kassam Stadium with Portsmouth probably coming into the game as favourites due to their settled squad compared to Oxford's new look side but it was the Yellows that triumphed in this one. Wes Thomas grabbed a goal 2 minutes after half time before Gino Van Kessel sealed it with an individual effort 8 minutes from time. Josh Ruffels added some polish to the score line by sliding in a third deep into stoppage time.

Blackpool got their first win of the season at home to MK Dons who are still searching for their first point. Sean Longstaff, on Loan from Newcastle grabbed the only goal as Robbie Neilsen's side failed to find the net again. Milton Keynes had their chances but lacked a cutting edge and in truth were a little lucky to escape with only a 1-0 defeat.

Walsall picked up an important win at home to Oldham. Both teams have been predicted to struggle this season and Walsall will need to beat sides like Oldham if they are to avoid a relegation scrap this term. McLaughlin gave the Latics a half time lead but Edwards equalised mid way through the second half. Just as it looked as those both sides would take a point, last season's top scorer Erhan Oztumer poked home the winner from close range, it could be a hard season for Oldham.

Scunthorpe drew 1-1 for the second week in a row as they drew away at Rochdale. It was a close game and Steven Davies gave Rochdale the lead with a diving header before substitute Duane Holmes levelled the match. Rochdale had more of the ball but their keeper was the busier.

Northampton fell to a second 1-0 this season when substitute Devante Cole grabbed the winner for Fleetwood at the Sixfields. Fleetwood started the brighter but relied on their keeper Alex Cairns to get them to the break level. Cairns made a wonderful triple save, twice from Pierre and then Waters to prevent Northampton taking the lead but that's as good as it got for The Cobblers as chances were hard to come by in a scrappy second half.

Gillingham also failed to find the net again as they slipped to a 1-0 defeat at home to Bradford. The Bantams made it two wins from two thanks to Dominic Poleon's first half strike and Poleon should have added a second but missed an open goal. Gillingham finished the game with 10 men as Conor Wilkinson saw red for a poor challenge.

Finally in League One a rather surprising 4-1 home defeat for Bristol Rovers as visitors Peterborough found their scoring touch. New signing Jack Marriott bagged himself a hat trick and Steven Taylor was also on the score sheet for the Posh. Rovers did come close as both Bodin and Clarke hit the woodwork before Rory Gaffney netted a consolation for the home side.


The shock of the day came at the Hive where last weeks free scoring Luton drew a blank as an excellent Bee's side defended with grit and determination. The only goal of the came late on when Jake Taylor curled in a beauty to make Rossi Eames very proud of his start this season.

Carlisle travelled to Cambridge to try and get their first win and it was duly delivered by some unlikely scorers. Reggie Lambe gave the Cumbrians the lead after a neat move fell to him on the edge of the box and he slotted home. Meddy Elito equalised from the spot after being brought down by Liddle but Tom Parkes wrapped up the point for Keith Curle's side tapping home after a corner.

Mansfield grabbed their first win of the season at Field Mill thanks to an excellent header from Danny Rose. Paul Anderson added a second after a fine break away to give the pre-season title favourites all 3 points. Forest Green lacked creativity and clearly were playing for a draw so can have no complaints about the result in this one.

Exeter went to Swindon to face a much imporved side under David Flitcroft who now has the ability of Kaiyne Woolery to call upon and it was the new signing that grabbed the Robins a point, finishing well after being put clean through. Exeter had earlier greabbed the l;ead when Reuben Reid's shot weas parried onto the post only for McAlinden to notch the rebound. The Grecians nearly won it late on but Jack Sparkes effort came off the post.

Newport continued their gritty performances with a well earned point at Crewe. They took the lead when Frank Nouble finally managed to get the ball home following a scramble. Crewe had Perry Ng sent off early on but managed to level the match thanks to Chris Dagnall's near post finish and Chris Porter should have won it late on following great work by George Cooper in the right.

Cheltenham and Mohammed Eisa seem to have found a great fit in each other as the new man scored his fourth in three matches to win the Robins home match against Crawley. His fine header was enough to make sure last week's last minute defeat against Morecambe was banished to memory. Crawley battled and had some half chances but will need to find a way of scoring if they are to avoid a long hard season.

One thing missing from Grimsby's match at home to Coventry was common sense. A bizarre opening goal for the Sky blues should have really been chalked off as Clarke was clearly rolling the ball back to his keeper so that he could take a free kick. Coventry forward McNulty jumped on it and ran through to score. Jack grimmer added a second with a solid header but Russell Slade can rightly feel frustrated about this defeat.

Colchester and Stevenage played out a 1-1 draw is Essex as Mandron looked dangerous throughout for the U's. Danny Newton finished well to give Stevenage the lead before Mandron grabbed an equaliser. He was the main attacking threat that Colchester had and you feel his goals will be vital if Colchester are to have a good season.

6,000 season ticket holders were treated to league football for the first time in more than six years at Sincil Bank but Morecambe came away with a credible point after they took the lead thanks to a excellent volley from Wildig. Matt Green grabbed his second of the season to equaliser and Lincoln really should have won it but Roche was excellent in the Morecambe net.

Chesterfield's poor start to the season continued at Meadow Lane where they fell to a 2-0 defeat. Both goals were scored by the dangerous Jorge Grant. The on loan forward were enough for County and to make matters worse for the visitors Scott Wiseman was sent off for an innocuous challenge on Hawridge. Grant's frist goal was a precise header and then and even more accurate free kick by the substitute gave Nolan his first win of the season.

Wycombe used Akinfenwa to great effect at Vale park as they stormed inot a 3-0 lead. The big striker grabbed a couple of headers from balls launched into the boxed which were scored either side of Cowan-Halls neat finish. Port Vale grabbed a goal back thanks to a header of their own scored by sub Turner with two minutes left. Then a great individual effort from Whitfield gave the home fans brief hope but it was a case of too little too late for the Valiants.

Finally last weeks whipping boys Yeovil came out on top of a 5 goal thriller at home to Accrington. Kayden Jackson grabbed a brace for the visitors but on loan striker Olomola had two of his own in the Glovers 3-2 victory. Francois Zoko also scored for Darren Way's men to make sure pride was restored in Somerset and 3 much needed points are on the board!