clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

League One and Two Round Up

James Richards brings us all the action from the lower leagues.

Portsmouth v AFC Bournemouth - Pre Season Friendly Photo by Harry Hubbard/Getty Images

League One

Football is back and what an afternoon of the beautiful game it was! Relegated Blackburn, who are many peoples favourites, came unstuck at Roots Hall, as predicted by, but this is about as far as our wisdom got us in terms of predicting the results! It took first half goals from Ryan Leonard and new signing Michael kightly to see off Rovers, who hit back in the second half thanks to a goal from Mulgrew but they just couldn't find an equaliser.

Pep Clotet started his Oxford United reign off with a win at Boundary Park. Goals from Wes Thomas and Josh Ruffels were enough for the U's as Oldham's scoring problems appear to have carried over into the new campaign.

Shrewsbury Town grabbed a late winner at home to Northampton, a side predicted to have a very good season by many, thanks to a goal by Lanell John-Lewis. The Salop will be hoping they can stay clear of relegation this campaign and will have been pleased with the win.

Portsmouth got off to the perfect start thanks to two goals from their marquee summer signing Brett Pitman. The new Pompey captain grabbed a brace in front of a sell out crowd at Fratton Park as both sides finished the game with 10 men. It was Kenny Jackett’s first game in charge of the South Coast club and he will have been delighted to beat a resilient Rochdale side.

Fellow promoted clubs Plymouth and Doncaster were unable to start the season with a win as Doncaster drew 0-0 at home to Gillingham and Argyle fell to defeat away to Peterborough. The Posh will have been delighted to grab a win thanks to goals early in each half. Reading loanee Jonathan Bond was the difference, as he made a string of excellent saves to secure United the points.

Wigan started Paul Cook's reign with a very good win at MK Dons. The Latics managed a 1-0 victory thanks to a goal seven minutes from the interval by Powell. Both sides finished with 10 men as Wigan held on to victory.

The other side to come down from the Championship, Rotherham, faced a tough test away at Fleetwood Town and Uwe Rosler's men had too much for the Millers. New signing, the hotly tipped, Conor McAleny grabbed both goals in a 2-0 victory for the Cod Army.

Bury started the season with a win, new signing Jermain Beckford scored the only goal in first half stoppage time to seal victory for Lee Clarke’s men. It would not be a surprise to many Saddlers fans that they failed to score with many of them stating their concerns about a lack of signings in the forward department clear. There is still time before the window closes for John Whitney to bring one in and many will feel that this will be vital if Walsall are to have a successful season.

Wimbledon will have been pleased with their efforts at Glanford Park, coming away with a 1-1 despite falling behind to a Conor Townsend goal early in the first half. Jimmy Abdou grabbed a point for the Dons with a second half equaliser to confound many pre-match predictions.

Charlton won their opening day match against Bristol Rovers despite playing 84 minutes with 10 men after Novak was given his marching orders. Patrick Bauer headed the winner in the 38th minute to give Karl Robinson's side all three points at the Valley.

From the Valley to Valley Parade where last season's play-off finalist Bradford City hosted newly promoted Blackpool. The Seasiders had lost star midfielder Brad Potts to Barnsley just a few days before the start of the season but they battled hard against a Bradford side hoping to go one better this season. Knight-Percival gave the Bantams the lead only for Colin Daniel to equalise two minutes later, before a second half goal from debutant Omari Patrick won it for the home side.

League Two

New season, same old League Two as Accrington continue to defy expectations as they trashed the hotly touted Colchester United. Goals from Jackson, Kee and Beckles shot Stanley into a 3-0 lead before Szmodics grabbed a consolation for the U's.

Cambridge travelled to Devon to take on play-off finalist Exeter. It was a close game but the Grecians edged it, looking more solid at the back than last season. Reuben Reid scored the only goal after he converted the rebound of his own penalty, which David Forde originally saved.

In an entertaining game at Adams Park, Wycombe and Lincoln played out a 2-2 draw with the goals all coming in a crazy 18 minute spell either side of half time. The Imps took the lead thanks to a Matt Green goal before Wycombe scored two in three minutes, when O'Nien equalised and then Jacobsen edge them in front. Just four minute after the break on loan winger Josh Ginnelly secured Lincoln a point on their return to the Football League.

Coventry started the season with bang at the Ricoh thanks to three goals from Jodi Jones. Notts County were the victims and, apart from a decent spell in the first half, never really got going as the impressive Jones put them to the sword. Mark Robins will not want to get carried away, but will be pleased to get through the first game without conceding.

The biggest story of the day came from Kenilworth Road where pre-season title favourite Luton showed everyone just why it is that everyone rates them so highly. Yeovil were the visitors and took a shock lead when Otis Khan scored a lovely free-kick. but this early optimism soon vanished as Luton hit their stride, grabbing five goals in 26 first half minutes.

Isaac Vassell finished the game with a brace and debutant James Collins scored a hat-trick as the Hatters completely overran their hapless opponents. Zoko did manage to grab a second for Yeovil, but it was a difficult afternoon for Darren Way's side as the game finished a remarkable 8-2 to Luton!

The other League Two title favourites Mansfield Town were held to a2-2 draw by a resilient Crewe at Gresty Road. Veteran forward Chris Porter scored both goals for the Railway Men as Crewe led twice, but goals from Danny Rose and David Mirfin made sure the Stags left Cheshire with a point.

Chesterfield were beaten at home by an impressive Grimsby Town. Russell Slade's men took a 2-0 half time lead thanks to goals from Nathan Clarke and Sam Jones. The Spireites put the pressure on in the second half and pulled a goal back when Denis smashed home, but with five minutes left Ian Evatt was given his marching orders after he brought down Harry Caldwell. Ben Davies scored from the resulting penalty and despite having Mills sent off late on the Mariners comfortably held on for the 3-1 win.

Carlisle took on relegated Swindon at weather beaten Brunton Park, but were on the end of a 2-1 defeat thanks to goals from Luke Norris and Paul Mullin. The Cumbrians did grab one back when Luke Joyce scored from the edge of the box, but David Flitcroft's side held on to take the points.

Port Vale were also away on their first game back down at this level and they too picked up maximum points. Michael Brown's men took a two goal lead into the break away at Harry Kewell's Crawley Town thanks to goals from Michael Tonge and Anthony Kay. Enzio Boldewijn gave Crawley hope when he pulled one back, but Turner sealed all three points for the Valiants eight minutes from time.

League Two newcomers Forest Green played out a 2-2 draw with Barnet at the New Lawn, but will feel they should have had more after letting a two goal lead slip away. Two goals in two minutes from Christian Doidge looked to have put Rovers in a commanding position, only for Akpa-Akpro and Campbell-Ryce to even things up in the second half. It was a good point for the Bees who many expected to lose in Gloucestershire.

Newport kept last season fighting spirit alive thanks to a 94th minute equaliser at Broadhall Way where Stevenage and County finished level at 3-3 in a topsy-turvy affair. Stevenage took a two goal lead thanks to Pett and then a Gorman penalty before Nouble pulled one back. Danny Newton made it 3-1, but just five minutes later Demetriou grabbed another for County, who poured forward looking for an equaliser, which duly arrived thanks to a late late strike from Shaun McCoulsky.

It was a late strike that won it at Morecambe where Garry Thompson was the two goal hero. Cheltenham were their opponents and it was the visitors that took the lead into the break when Mohammed Eisa scored a debut goal. Morecambe usually start the season well and came roaring back despite surviving a scare when Jamie Grimes struck a post. Garry Thompson equalised in the 55th minute and then in the 90th grabbed the winner, volleying home Oliver’s header.