clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Liam Moore Statement: I’m Not Leaving

New, comment

That’s one potential transfer rumour put to bed.

Reading v Sheffield United - Sky Bet Championship

Liam Moore has confirmed on Twitter that he WON’T be leaving Reading this summer. The defender had been strongly linked with a move to Premier League side Brighton and Hove Albion, and had even put in a transfer request a week before the start of the season. However, with no transfer forthcoming, the player has chosen to clarify what happened in his own words.

He said:

“After a few weeks of uncertainty about my future I can finally speak out and confirm I’m staying at Reading Football Club.

“In the past I have always made it clear that my ambition was to return to the Premier League. When a substantial fair offer was rejected I privately requested to leave the club and take the opportunity to play at the highest level.

“I would like to stress I believe I have been professional throughout and was interested in taking a forward move. Naturally the same as everybody wants to do in their jobs.

“Having spoken to Mr and Ms Dai yesterday their passion and love for this club in incredible. Mr Dai told me it’s honestly not about the money and he wouldn’t let me leave the club for any price.

“They both are very ambitious themselves and want me to be a part of the club’s future. I respect their stance on the situation and believe the club is in good shape with these owners that generally* care about the club.

“From my point of view there was no disrespect intended towards the club with the transfer request and I would like to thank the lads and especially the manager for how they have been throughout this process.

“I now look forward to the challenge ahead of earning a spot back in the team and competing this season. I can assure all fans I will continue giving it my all for the club both on and off the pitch and hope we can be successful together.”

*Genuinely?

It had already looked like the player would be staying put, with The Argus reporting Brighton’s interest had waned, and Tim Dellor tweeting that the owners are refusing to cash in on Moore - which the defender confirmed in his statement.

The question now is over how well Moore can reintegrate with the side and endear himself to the fans. He was already a popular player with the supporters, and a widely positive reaction on social media to him staying suggests that his bridges are far from burnt.

The first big test comes on Saturday afternoon, when Moore could be involved in the Reading squad that will take on Nottingham Forest at the City Ground. However, he’ll have to take a place in the side from either Tiago Ilori or Paul McShane, both of whom started the season opener against Derby County.

What do you make of his statement? Can this all get quickly swept under the carpet, or does he have a lot of work to do? Let us know in the comments.