Barnsley 1-1 Reading
4’ - Early signs of shambolic defending (Liam Moore with two shocking errors), but it’s Jordan Obita beaten down the wing… cross comes in but shot sails over the bar. Another slow start for the Royals…
7’ - George Puscas finds himself through, but a heavy touch takes it too far past the keeper.
10’-20’ - Barnsley break on the counter, ball quickly crossed in, tame volley from six yards that should really have been 1-0. End to end. Barnsley then with a chance from distance whistles wide of the post. Dominance from the home side so far.
27’ - Charlie Adam shot from distance, first test for the Barnsley keeper.
30-45’ - Was some of the worst football I’ve seen in my life. You honestly have to remind yourself that this is the second tier of English football… that there are over five tiers below this. Home side missed a huge opportunity to go up 1-0, Rafael’s made the save, but that. Was. Awful.
55’ - Andy Rinomhota dribbles through the middle and slides in Lucas Joao who slides in Obita in the box clear sight of goal… skies it.
57’ - Another clueless attempt to play out from the back, make a total hash of it, and Barnsley pounce in the box, 1-0.
…again… second tier of English football.
74’ - Shambles at the back for Barnsley too and Joao there again to slot home. 1-1. Couple of Blue Army chants heard in the away end… Fair play to you all for sitting through this tonight. Legends.
77’ - Sam Baldock with a cross to Yakou Meite, clear header! He’s put it over the bar! Unreal. Potential daylight robbery.
80’-FT - Scrappy half chances at either end, but in the end this was a battle of two teams at the wrong end of the table, and it showed. How many more seasons of this can we endure…
“Brian McDermott Appreciation” Player of the Game
Nobody. I mean it. None of them tonight. It would be insulting to the club to hand this out to someone in all honesty.
- The Barnsley fans booed at full time. Barnsley expected to win that tonight. That’s where we’re at now as a club.
- You felt when Mark Bowen made clear he wanted to be ‘around the playoff spots by January’, and it was going to be all or nothing with that comment to the press. Turns out it’s nothing. That is a loss against the team at the bottom of the league, and one of the most uninspiring performances on a football pitch I have ever seen. Ever.
- Six shots at goal inside the first 18 minutes for Barnsley. These slow starts to games are becoming a real concern. I wonder what Bowen’s dressing room hype speeches are like…
- The Reading defending (not just this season) is always ridiculously far too deep in their own box, allowing more time and space for the opposition to create chances. Usually a sign of fear and insecurity at the back, and to be honest, it shows in the errors - something Bowen needs to tighten up if he wants his side to be mid table come January. Hell, if he’s still here in January. *Shrug*.
- Andy Rinomhota suited up for his 50th battle as a Royal tonight. A huge achievement and testament to his professionalism that doesn’t go unnoticed at the club, but wasn’t at the races tonight.
- Can’t believe what I just watched. Onto Stoke…