clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Loan Report: House Back in Action, Barrow a Threat Once Again

A pretty good week for the majority of Reading’s loanees.

Dagenham & Redbridge had to have two bites at the cherry to make it through the FA Trophy first round against Sutton United. Last Saturday, Dagenham made the short journey across London and drew 1-1 in the first game to force a replay. The Daggers took the lead ten minutes after half time through Joe Quigley, but Omar Bugiel equalised for the hosts with fifteen minutes to go.

After a few games absence, Ben House started for Dagenham in this game but was brought off just after the hour. In the replay in midweek, Dagenham needed extra time to get past Sutton 3-2 on this occasion. With the score 1-1 at full time once again, Sutton took an extra time lead but two goals in six minutes turned the game around and saw the Daggers through. House once again started the game but was brought off with fifteen minutes to go.

Denizlispor made it five matches unbeaten in all competitions last weekend after coming from behind to beat high-flying Trabzonspor away from home. The hosts took the lead after 20 minutes through an own goal. Two second-half goals from former Premier League striker Hugo Rodallega turned the game around and secured a win for the Roosters. Mo Barrow played the full 90 minutes for the visitors and again was a threat throughout on the left-hand side, proving dangerous on the counter attack.

Gabriel Osho maintained his starting spot at the heart of the Yeovil Town defence as they beat Vanarama National South side Welling United 3-1 in the FA Trophy first round. Glovers boss Darren Sarll named a very strong team despite playing a team from the tier below and the decision duly paid off with a good team performance. Courtney Duffus put the home side 1-0 after half an hour, and then two goals in the first ten minutes of the second half put the Vanarama National side in cruise control. Welling did grab a consolation goal late on, but the damage was already done. Osho put in a solid performance over the course of the 90 minutes.

Atletico Baleares look to be recovering from their recent rough patch of form, thanks to a 2-0 win over Las Rozas in Segunda Division B. Two goals in the first five minutes of the second half secured the win for the league leaders, who maintain their one-point gap at the top to Atletico Madrid B. Jordan Holsgrove started the game but was withdrawn on the hour mark with the work done to get the win. Baleares also played midweek in the Copa del Rey second round against fellow third-tier side Unionistas de Salamanca CF. Unionistas who are bottom of Group 2 in the third tier ran out 1-0 winners in a bit of an upset. Jordan Holsgrove was an unused sub for this game.

Tom Holmes and KSV Roeselare proved that Friday the 13th can be lucky for some after coming from behind twice to draw 2-2 against Leuven. The visitors took the lead in the first quarter of an hour, but Roeselare equalised and made the score 1-1 going into half time. Leuven then scored shortly after the break before Amir Nouri grabbed the second for Roeselare with 20 minutes to go. Tom Holmes played the full 90 for the Belgian side, as they maintained third place in the First Division.

It was the same old story for Luke Southwood and Hamilton as they were beaten away at Aberdeen 1-0. Hamilton once again offered very little going forward and were undone thanks to a point-blank finish eight minutes after half time from Sam Cosgrove. The score could have been much more if it wasn’t for Southwood in the Hamilton goal, but his resolve was unbeaten by a strike he could do very little about. The Accies find themselves bottom of the SPL table, and without a win in eleven.

Cambridge United travelled to promotion chasing Cheltenham Town in League Two this past weekend and managed to hold them to a 1-1 draw. The visitors took the lead against the run of play just before the half hour and led at half time. Shortly after half time however, the hosts got back on level terms but could not find a winner in the remainder of the game. Sam Smith led the line once again for Cambridge but was brought off with under 10 minutes to go. On the whole Smith had a fairly quiet game but did have a couple of opportunities to grab himself a goal before being subbed off.

Steaua Bucharest moved into the top four in Liga I after defeating Viitorul 2-0. Two first-half goals for Steaua secured a third win in a row for the visitors as they move to within five points of league leaders CFR Cluj with a game in hand. Adrian Popa came off for the bench for the final five minutes of the game.

Sunderland are still looking for a win after drawing 1-1 with Reading’s FA Cup third-round opponents Blackpool. The seasiders took the lead after four minutes, but Charlie Wyke grabbed an equaliser for the Black Cats with just under ten minutes to go to half time. Sunderland did have a man sent off fifteen minutes from time but were good enough to hang on to a draw. Marc McNulty was an unused sub in this game.